Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Just the two of us...

I got to the SAFC (South Australian Film Corporation) yesterday at 8h45. I met up with Christine and she introduced me to our producers, some of which I had herd many great things about, but never actually met. Then, I followed her to a room far from the production office where Rodrigo, the RED technician, was waiting for me.

He smiled, opened up a pelican case, and there it was. So simple, so small and rounded. So pretty. And that was it. I was in love.

I had been on many websites about the RED camera, and there were lots of photos of the camera on display at film conferences, with waves of people gathered around to have a look at it from a distance. And here I was, on a private date with it. Our focus puller was away on a job, and Nick was very busy. So it was just me. All day. Just me, the RED, and Rodrigo, teaching me how exactly to work it.

It's a funny feeling you get when you meet a camera for the first time. Especially when it's so new some of it's accessories aren't even available yet. There is a kind of aura around it. (poeple kept dropping in on us just to have a look at it) It's mysterious, because even if you know its technical parameters, you don't know what every single button is for, and how to get it to do what you need it to. But at the end of the day, I was familiar with the inner workings. The deep menus, the ifs and whys. It's not a mystery anymore, and I am seeing it in a whole new way.

Yes, it can be complicated, and it's a whole new way to do my job, but man, it's just fabulous.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mélanie said...

on dirait que tu as une nouvelle amie alors.

;-)

3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home