Thursday, June 08, 2006

US ending

I was watching the special features of my Pride & Prejudice DVD today.
Nice little featurettes and all, but one thing really stunned me.

There was a thing called: US ending.

Hun?

The film I had seen and loved didn't finish the same way as the USA version? That's strange. My version finished with the shot of Donald Sutherland after he said that if there was another man who wanted to come and propose to another of his daughters, may he be welcome. He was quite at his leasure.

We never saw Lizzie and Mr.Darcy kiss. Never. Not in this version. I thought it was great.

The US ending was absolutely horrible. There they were, the two lovers,(after that shot of Donald Sutherland) being luvy duvy on the balcony of Mr. Darcy's castle. And they have this talk about what sweet names to call each other and which one to use on what occasion. Something about how Mr. Darcy is only allowed to call Lizzy Mrs. Darcy when he is utterly happy. And that's what he calls her. Over, and over, and over, and over. And in between each time, a kiss. Man, it was too much.

Please consider this when you read my critic of the film. The film I talked about had a good ending. Not an américan pink, sweet, way-to-over-the-top romantic, irrrhhhh one. Only in the US would they need something like that. The best way to wreck a good movie.

1 Comments:

Blogger johanne said...

moi j;ai juste vu le film avec la fin americaine mais je ne savais pas qu'il y avait une autre version...
mais j;ai aime le film quand meme...

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home