Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Aussie's favorite films - Top 5.

Sorry this took so long, I just found the paper I had written the top ten on, I had misplaced it... So here they are, the top five favorite films of Australians, tallied after a survey conducted for 5 months.

5 - DONNIE DARKO

I have never seen it. Apparently, it was an absolute hit, an instant cult film over here. Jake Gyllenhaal's breakthrough role.

4 - SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION


Man, those Aussies really surprise me. Yes, this movie was good, powerful and all, but man, number 4 of their all time favorite movies? And it is not the most recent movie. I guess a country founded a few hundred years ago with criminals and ex-cons could relate to this movie...

3 - BLADE RUNNER

Ok, now this one makes sense to me. This movie is a staple in science fiction films. The question about what makes us humans and all that, never goes out of style.

2 - AMÉLIE

Aka, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain. Hun???? The second favorite films by Australians is a french film? My God. I almost fell out of my chair. It made me think this survey might have been either a hoax, or just really really shitly tallied. But no, apparently, this long survey was totally ligit, and lots of women quoted this colorful, playful movie as one of their favorites of all time. Impressive, considering it is the only foreign language film of the list and that they had to READ it instead of just plainly enjoying it.

1 - (drum roll....)

THE LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY

OK, so not the biggest surprise. We all knew it was coming.

But what surprised me was that other big blockbusters like The Matrix didn't even make the top ten. Or that none of the top ten films were Australian ones.
What happened to being patriotic? Just a tad? No?
Not even for Galipoli?
Pic-Nic at hangning rock?
Shine?
Strictly Balroom?

No?

Oh well.

1 Comments:

Blogger johanne said...

etrange en effet qu'il n'y ait pas de films australiens dans la liste...ici crazy fait un hit pour les génies (10 statuettes) et la semaine prochaine... attention les jutras...

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home