Sunday, January 22, 2006

42 and a half.

So this has been the number of the day for the past few days.

It took Allen and I 42 hours and 30 minutes to get from my parent's house in Canada to our appartment in Adelaide. It was long, boring, but at least, we were together during the trip. I don't remember the last time I actually boarded a plane with somebody I knew.It was nice.
But after all that time in airplanes and aiports, you kinda wish you can go home, kick back an relax, especially with a 15 and a half hour jetlag. Yeah, I was keen for a long nap in my bed, and putting the things I got in Canada away in their respective places (something I just loooove to do when I come back). But mother nature had other plans.

When we arrived in Sydney, it was a nice and cool 23 degrees. Ah, perfect, I thought. Adelaide is always a bit warmer than Sydney, so I was thinking it might be about 26-27 degrees back home. A perfect temperature to come home to.

Boy was I wrong. To honor the number of the day, it was 42 and a half DEGREES!!!!!!

Oh. My. God.

We walked in our appartment, and it was LITERALLY like walking into a sauna. No figure of speach here. It hit me like a *&^$$#%&$^& ton of bricks. I had troubble breathing. We opened up the windows and doors. Big mistake. A wind that felt like a giant hot blow drier came rushing in. I changed immidiately, in a pair of shorts and a tshirt, but I felt dizzy. I walked around the house, trying to find a spot that would let me breathe for a minute, but everywhere was just as hot. I really felt uneasy. I went into the shower to have a really cold one. Do you think that helped?
I got out, and I almost passed out.
I brabbed a small towel and wet it with cold water. I would carry it with me, wiping myself with it so that the air would cool me down. Hint: that technique does not work in almost 43 degre temperature. Oh, and did I mention our appartment is on the second floor? So we get the hot air that rises from the appartment below us. To make things worse. Seriously, I have never been in this much heat before.
Nothing works to refresh you. NOTHING.
I felt faint, I thought I was going to pass out. Really.
Allen decided to call his mom and ask her if we could crash at her place so we wold actually survive the night and get a bit of shut eye.

Today is our third day at his mom's. It is still over 42 degrees.

Oh, and did I mention it will be even hotter next week?

If you know anyone who does not believe that there is a 'rechauffement de la planete', and still go on and drive their enormous HUMMER or giant SUV in the city, or anywhere, for that matter, hit them. Cause them pain.

Or worst, send them down here.
They will get it pretty quick, I tell you.

Seriously, I don't know how I will survive another day like this.
And a night in my appartment.


Blogger vanou said...

welcome home, I just got in myself...

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to read you both made it fine to your...oven! try to get yourself a sport sponge - kind of towel made of a special material that stays wet and that you can put around your neck.
helps cool down. the name : sensi.
Sensi sport!!

love to both
dad XX

12:48 PM  
Blogger johanne said...

well here it was rain and snow and rain and the roof is more vanou to take out the snow on the roof...
courage and go to the movie it will be cooler...

2:39 AM  
Blogger S said...

does his mother have airconditionning? yeah, I hear it's hot in the south, the aussi open, some players had to stop cause it was too hot!

3:11 AM  
Anonymous m-a said...

hey la soeur!
ouin, ça fait différent de la bonne pluie verglaçante du mois de janvier au Québec ;)

mais il ne fait pas -42.5 !!
See you later!

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, j'ai peine à croire qu'il fait si chaud las-bas !!! c'Est dramatique comme changement ! étant loin d'être une fille qui a visité le monde, j'espère un jour avoir assez d'$ et aller vous voir là-bas, et moi aussi pouvoir dire qu'il fait 42 degrés !!!! ;o)
marie claude xxx
gros bisous

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home