Wednesday, April 22, 2009

And the rebuilding began.

I arrived at my last upholstery class with the skeleton of the chair I had guttered the week before.

As it was the last class I was going to attend for a while, David, our teacher, told me I should start with the back of the chair because it had no springs, therefore was less complicated and I could do it in less time.

So I started. From the empty frame, I had to install jute webbing. 5 nails on the end of each strand, then fold the ends over and put 5 nails more. I was getting pretty handy with the best tool ever invented: the magnitised tack hammer.


Once the webbing was done, I covered the frame up with heshin. Tacks all around, while folding around the arms, and doing a nice little border and tacking it all around again. While stretching it straight at the same time of course...


Then using a bag needle and nylon sting I had to learn how to make specific slip knots and go around the heshin to make up loops that would hold in the flock. I had to make a specific pattern...I took notes with lots of arrows...


Then I packed the flock under the loops and over the loops until I had a thick and soft layer without any lumps or holes. (This takes much longer than you think)


And then I cut a piece of callico and started nailing it in with temporary tacks all around, compressing the flock in and making it nice and round on all sides. After the first go, I had to do pleats so the fabric would go nicely around the arms and back and I pulled all the tacks one side at a time and pulled the callico tigher. All sides, about three times so that it is at tight as it can get.



So that's where I am at. I didn't take a picture of it finished though... That took about 2 and a half hours, and my teacher told me he was impressed with my speedy work. So it gives you an idea of how much work goes into a chair.

And I am not finished yet! The fabric will have to go over the callico, I will have to put a trim around the back, and that's only half the chair done! The big challenge will be the springs on the seat of the chair...

To be continued!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It will be beautiful. So when do you stain the arms?
Good job.XXX

12:29 PM  
Blogger pappidou said...

IMPRESSIVE work!
Hidden talents here.
It will be beautiful indeed.

X

12:33 AM  
Blogger johanne said...

le talent de ta maman pour la couture qui se transmet aux filles...toi et ta soeur...bravo pour la chaise...j'en ai une belle a refaire a la maison...

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home